Wednesday 13 March 2013

These are my bikes I am using...

Before I do any further blogs, I should really introduce my bikes which without them I wouldn't be doing much cycling & improving my health.

So to start with I will introduce you to my 1st bike since my disability...


Now most of my new followers wont have seen this bike, I didnt have it long. Basically I tried to "run before I could walk" with my leg & it not ready for cycling, so after a few months it was sold & I got back what I paid as I did get it at 1/2 price. Had so little use, it had no markings on it.
You can read up on my attempts here: Back on road again after 18yrs & 2010 Time for changes.... 
So would be a lil while longer before I tried again & not until I moved to Essex.

The next bike I decided to get & try again was this one, most of you know I refer this bike as The Beast.


Dont look much does it, it was bought in June 2011 at a car boot where I went round trying every bike I thought suitable with a nice gear ratio for easy pedalling. Cost me £35 & that was fine with me for if it didn't work out again, then I haven't lost much. Well it did work out, so I asked for parts for Christmas & so started its transformation to what is now The Beast & is still evolving...


This is my main bike, it has done many miles with me & even has a trailer for heavy shopping. Kinda bonded with it, both the Beast & I have grown over the past 18 months & have done the 30 DAYS OF BIKING & 'Autumn' 30 DAYS OF BIKING last year & planning to do 30 days of biking again next month but with 1 extra added bonus, at the end of the month I will be doing a 35 mile (Pedal for the J's) sponsored cycle ride for The J’s Hospice. So I'm getting the bike & me ready for that this month, it will be the furthest I have ridden a bicycle since I've got back on one...

Now for the latest addition to the collection...


I got this bike only a couple months ago in a 1/2 price sale, its gearing is different than The Beast so is harder work to cycle. But that is why I got it, the lower gear ratio be good for snow & at higher speed it will get me to work harder on my legs. But hasnt been used much just yet as been changing some parts to suit me, especially the Handlebars that are to narrow for my liking. But also getting mudguards, lights, rack etc to have it as a functional bike for me & when ready it will be used more...

So there you have it, the start of my cycling after my disability that I am overcoming.

But before I end this blog, here is the bike that got me into cycling a lot...


The Raleigh Maverick, was the best bike I had & is the style I am trying to replicate i.e. handlebars. And if I can ever get one again at a price I can afford, I would as I just want to relive the thrill this bike gave me.

2 comments: